Hemp masonry is a durable, high quality, carbon neutral building material suitable for exterior and interior wall construction and for roofing and subfloor insulation. Industrial Hemp is a renewable resource.
The building material is durable, fire retardant, and has low embodied energy. It has excellent flexural strength and sound and thermal insulation properties.
Often referred to as hempcrete, hemp lime construction materials have the following characteristics:
- Excellent thermal insulation
- Excellent acoustic isolation
- Fire retardant
- Mould retardant healthy housing
- Carbon positive building material – the fast growing hemp biomass absorbs around 10 tonnes per ha carbon dioxide during the plant growth phase. This then locked into housing.
- Rather then being kiln baked the materials draw in further carbon from the atmosphere over time to cure
- Breathable walls provides excellent indoor air quality
- Materials from demolished hemp masonry walls can be readily recycled