Buildings made of hemp:
- store the carbon from a renewable biomass throughout the life of the building material
- create a vapour-permeable construction envelope that ensures healthy indoor air quality
- provide excellent thermal insulation and some thermal mass
- avoid thermal bridging and provides good airtightness with simple detailing
- are simple to construct. Hemp building requires care but the skills are easy to learn.
- reduce the load on foundations because it is light weight material
- can have zero waste, as previously mixed material can be reintroduced in controlled proportions to new mixes.
For optimal durability once dried, exterior hemp walls should be finished with a Hemp lime, Lime or other natural render or breathable finish. Other than this hemp lime needs no unusual protection from the elements.
As with all lime based construction materials, to ensure a quality build Designers, Contractors and Owner Builders require a high level of understanding of the product. AHM offers formal training and hands on experience through regular Hemp Building Workshops.